Easy Docker LaTeX Setup with vscode and Grammarly
LaTeX is a document preparation system, which enables to produce .pdf documents from text and commands for formatting. I use it to write academic research papers and other documents, like my résumé.
I wanted an easy setup for an powerful LaTeX environment using an extensible IDE with Grammar.ly integration, running in Docker so my system stays clean.
So the requirements for the setup were:
- Works on Windows and Linux
- Uses Visual Studio Code (vscode) as editor
- Grammar.ly integration
- Uses texlive-full together with biber and latexmk
- … but without installing them to my system
- Should not require more than a few clicks (or commands) to set up
Here are the steps:
- Install these two vscode extensions: latex-workshop, Grammarly
- Set “latex-workshop.docker.enabled”: true in your vscode settings
- Build your project with latex workshop
If you have a Grammarly account, log in by specifying
"grammarly.username": "your grammarly email",
"grammarly.password": "your grammarly password",
I also like to add the following configuration values:
// Grammarly acadmic writing style
"grammarly.domain": "academic",// always open pdf preview in new vscode tab
I also use the vscode Material Icon Theme plugin in my LaTeX projects.
Which vscode plugins do you use in your LaTeX projects?